Wednesday, September 5, 2007

No New Clothing Challenge

BGT has challenged themselves and others to just say no to brand new clothing. We have presented a challenge to only buy vintage until December 31 in an effort to reduce and reuse.

Morgan P. of Albany, NY (16)has joined the challenge because "I really want to make a difference and change my lifestyle so I recycle and do good for the planet. I would like other people to follow that lifestyle as well because it's not only good for me and my life it's good for everyone else and the earth!!!"

Here are some reasons we found for not buying new clothes.

1. The average American throws away about 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per year.

2. 10% of all agricultural chemicals and 25% of insecticides in the U.S. are used to grow cotton.

3. It takes almost 1/3 of a pound of chemicals (pesticides and fertilizers) to grow enough cotton for just ONE T-shirt

for a complete list visit treehugger's green guide section, http://www.treehugger.com

No comments: