Sunday, November 18, 2007

Lots and Lots of Trees

The Million TreesNYC is a citywide, public-private iniative, launched by the city of New York in collaboration with the New York Restoration Project. The goal is to plant and care for one million new trees across the City's five boroughs over the next decade. By planting one million trees, New York City can increase its urban forest - made up of street trees, park trees, and trees on public, private and commercial land - by 20%, while achieving the many quality-of-life benefits that come with planting trees. The City will plant 60% of trees in parks and other public spaces. The other 40% will come from private organizations, homeowners, and community organizations.

Planting trees is one of the most beneficial and cost-effective ways to help ease these growing pains. Trees help clean our air, and reduce the pollutants that trigger asthma attacks and exacerbate other respiratory diseases. They cool our streets, sidewalks, and homes on hot summer days. Trees increase property value, and encourage neighborhood revitalization. New York City’s urban forest needs to expand in all five boroughs, in all types of open space. Tree-planting opportunities exist on public lands, but half of the City’s available open space is on private land. MillionTreesNYC will work with residents and community partners to assess planting opportunities on private residential, institutional, and vacant properties.

Every New Yorker can participate by planting and caring for trees through planting and stewardship programs, such as: Volunteer days, Educational training and workshops, and Arbor Day events. You can also fill out a brief online form to request a tree planting near where you live.

No comments: