Saturday, March 7, 2009


Million Trees NYC is a public-private program with the goal of, you guessed it, planting one million trees in the five boroughs within the next decade. The city of New York will be responsible for the planting of 60% of the trees and the other 40% will come from private donors and home owners.

We all know that trees are great for the environment and beautiful to look at, but there are health advantages as well. Several neighborhoods in New York have fewer than average trees AND higher than average rates of asthsma among children. For this reason, One Million Tree NYC is specifically targeting neighborhoods like Hunts Point, East New York, and Far Rockaway.

And the best news is, One Million Trees has volunteer opportunities! Fulfill your three hours for the Brooklyn Green Team's Volunteer Challenge!

Learn more at

No comments: